opposition against clamav-data in debian volatile

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 14:21, Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
> * Javier Fernandez-Sanguino:
>
>> This really sounds like there is a "use case" for data-only
>> "packages" that:
>
> Is clamav-data really data-only?  Other AV software ships some sort of
> code even in signature updates (as opposed to engine updates).

Yes, the signatures contain only signatures, which are hexadecimal
patterns with wildcards, hashes, and so on. See
http://www.clamav.net/doc/latest/signatures.pdf

For ClamAV 0.96 we have planned support for bytecode signatures, see
http://www.clamav.net/about/roadmap.
This is not directly executable code, but bytecode that is executed by
an interpreter/JIT, and doesn't have access to the system in any way,
it only has access to a restricted set of ClamAV APIs.

Regarding freshclam, there are 2 ways to setup a local mirror,
described here, see the question "I’m running ClamAV on a lot of
clients on my local network. Can I serve the cvd files from a local
server so that each client doesn’t have to download them from your
servers?"
http://www.clamav.net/support/faq/faq-cvd/

Best regards,
--Edwin