Re: OpenVZ - deb-packages

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Dmitry E. Oboukhov wrote:
> I need OpenVZ 2.6.27 with ppp-features available. I was on the
> point of building the package, but I am not very good in building
> of kernels and the current openvz is built somehow strange:
> apt-get source linux-image-2.6.26-2-openvz-686 gets an src-package
> with no mentions of openvz in debian/control in it.

Kernel packages are special:

> 1. Have I understood correctly that openvz doesn't have its own Source
> in Debian now and it is simply added/removed from linux-source as the
> need arises? How should I act and with whom should I communicate if I
> want to add something to the package?

The main source is the linux-2.6 source package. You should talk to its
maintainers (people reachable on debian-kernel@lists.debian.org).

> 2. May be somebody has already built openvz 2.6.27 (with ppp-features).
> Could You share the link on repository?

I have built a 2.6.26 openvz kernel with the ppp support (a single
supplementary patch):

The patch on the source package:

The source package:

The binary package:

I would like this patch to be added in a point release update given it's
only a supplementary feature in the -openvz kernel and should not disturb
anything else. But it's not in line with the traditional stable update
policy so I did not bother to propose it up to now.

Dann, what's your stance on this ?

Raphaël Hertzog