Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Gabor Gombas:
> > - start advertising that openjdk/icedtea is now supposed to be usable,
>
> Note that the non-applet stuff has been quite usable for a while.
> Even the openjdk-6 in lenny is not too bad (it's certainly possible to
> run various production loads on it).
>
> > - convince people to install icedtea6-plugin instead of
> >   sun-java6-plugin,
> > - and when it is in fact working, _then_ start to talk about sun-java6
> >   removal.
>
> I'm surprised by the interest in this type of technology.  For the
> security team, the web plugin will be somewhat nightmarish.  There are
> also software freedom issues surrounding it (due to the University of
> California's recent lawsuits).

Homebanking with two of the five most important banks in Brazil requires
signed java applet support on the browser, for example.  And all the java
crypto stuff, too.

Don't be surprised by the interest in the web-plugin. In fact, be advised
that it is the *key* functionality of java for a _large_ number of users,
and missing plugin support makes java utterly useless to a very large set of
people.

I will check again icedtea6-plugin with at least one of the banks sometime
next week.

  Henrique Holschuh