Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

On Thu, Oct 08, 2009 at 11:44:21AM -0400, Barry deFreese wrote:

> There has also been some similar discussions in Ubuntu with some
> users reporting that some web sites and packages don't work with
> openjdk but I have not seen a lot of concrete proof.

I have tried icedtea6-plugin a couple of times (last time about 2 weeks
ago) but always went back to sun-java6-plugin because icedtea simply
didn't work. I thought that openjdk is still an experimental thingy so I
did not bother reporting it. May I suggest you to

- start advertising that openjdk/icedtea is now supposed to be usable,
- convince people to install icedtea6-plugin instead of
  sun-java6-plugin,
- and when it is in fact working, _then_ start to talk about sun-java6
  removal.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences