Re: Is it time to remove sun-java6?

Barry deFreese <bdefreese@debian.org> hit the keyboard.
Afterwards the following was on the screen:

> A few of us have been discussing the removal of sun-java6.  It is
> non-free, orphaned, buggy (including security bugs), and can generally
> be replaced by openjdk.  There are only three reverse depends left and
> none of them directly depend on sun-java6 but instead dep on
> java6-runtime.

As much as I'd like to drop sun-java6, I depend on it for my
homebanking. At startup it prints "Checking java version" and later on
it comes with a login box with sun-java6 - with icedtea6-plugin it
just comes with a blank screen.

It is the bank's fault, of course, in my opinion. It is an ancient
system that has - to my eye - not been updated for quite some time,
but still most small banks (that is, all but the three largest banks
or so) in Denmark use this system or variants hereof.

Regards
/Rasmus

--
Rasmus Bøg Hansen         || moffe@zz9.dk