Re: Policy §10.4 as a divergence from usptream (renamings to remove extensions like .pl and .sh).

On Tuesday 29 September 2009, Frank Küster wrote:
> David Goodenough <david.goodenough@btconnect.com> wrote:
> > I am a newcommer to this particular bit of policy, but it occurs to me
> > that the answer is to add links to the original commands to conform to
> > Debian standards while leaving the upstream commands intact.
>
> That would horribly clutter the bin directories.  I think the approach
> with a /usr/share/$packagename/bin/ that contains the old names as
> links, and can be added to PATH, is the best we can do for supporting
> scripts that assume extensions.
Well of course we already do this aliasing with the alternatives system.
If this is only for those (hopefully) few where we can not persuade upstream
to cooperate would it really be that much of a burden?

David