Re: /var/www is depracated, which directory to use?

Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com> writes:

> I'm still unconvinced by /srv personally - we've strived for years in
> Debian to make things work as much as possible straight from initial
> installation, yet now we're expected to deliberately leave services
> unconfigured. I don't think this is progress for most of our users...

I don't think /srv is the answer to any question about "where do Debian
packages put data in their default configuration."  /srv is really
intended to be a place where the local system administrator organizes
their service data, which means we need to let them choose to organize it
however they wish.

I think the real problem here is that we have some missing integration
glue.  A lot of packages want to serve things out via the web by default
unless the sysadmin has indicated that they want control over the URL
space.  Apache sort of provides a way to do that, but it isn't very good.
Other web servers in Debian so far as I know don't at all.  And there
isn't a common interface supported by all of them.

I think we need to put together a standard definition of how a Debian
package can specify "please serve out this data and this CGI script at
these URLs unless the sysadmin has said to leave the web configuration
alone," using a standard API implemented by all web servers in Debian.  I
suspect that will get everyone what they want.