Re: What is this rule for?

Andreas Tscharner dijo [Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 10:35:46PM +0200]:
>> And because extensions truly mean nothing. Of course, I can
>
> This is true for Unix/Posix systems, but unfortunately not for Windows
> systems. And if the maintainer of a great Perl script wants his script
> to work on both platforms, he'll probably will name it GreatPerlScript.pl
> If the extension .pl is linked with a Perl interpreter in Windows, he'll
> be able to run it on both systems without a prepending "perl"
>
> Don't get me wrong here: I see the reasons for removing the extensions,
> but I think this is a valid point for having one in the first place.

That's the reason we sometimes diverge away from upstream: We don't
cater for the exact same audience, and we might modify their chosen
binary names to make things easier and more coherent for our users.

--
Gunnar Wolf • gwolf@gwolf.org • (+52-55)5623-0154 / 1451-2244