Re: Debconf and PackageKit

> De: Josselin Mouette

> Currently, the question will simply be ignored, the frontend being set
> to noninteractive when there is no TTY nor display available.
The hard work imo will be if i start in an interactive mode (in the backend)
but when a question needs to popup the user loged out and i need to
ignore the questions..

> This is one of the possible solutions indeed. The thing you need is
> actually a new frontend for Debconf, that should probably be based on
> D-Bus so that you can map the authentication and permissions from what
> comes from PackageKit.
>
> This frontend would actually consist in a middleware that forwards
> requests through D-Bus. The real frontend would be called by the
> PackageKit frontend itself. You could probably directly re-use the
> existing Gnome frontend to show the actual dialogs.
Well I think it might be easy to get accepts by Upstream if
this was a separate app since no change in gnome or kde frontends
would be needed to add a strictly Debian Feature,
I thought of using a socket since it could be chmod to 600 for example.

> > but there is one problem that I'd like to know if there is a already a way
> > to deal with this:
> > when aptcc backend starts installing packages it's status are in a fd
> > which might be localized is LANG is set, so I clean LANG
> > and get dpkg to give strings like
> > removing, unpacking, that can be converted to an enum.
>
> Ugh, that’s an absolutely horrible and broken solution. You should use
> the --status-fd dpkg option instead.
hmm ok I'll investigate on how to use that in an apt-get based code..

> > The problem is if i unset LANG debconf is not localized too
> > so the user will see debconf dialog in english.
>
> This is not a problem. The frontend is responsible for extracting the
> templates (the protocol only tells which questions to ask), and the
> locale in the frontend remains that of the user.
hmm nice to know :D

> > Please be kind as I'm not familiar with this list :P
> > and don't know debconf and dpkg internals...
> > If you want download PackageKit and please
> > try aptcc :D
>
> Maybe you should be aware that because of the shortcomings you describe,
> some Ubuntu people started to work on aptdaemon as a possible PackageKit
> replacement, PackageKit being absolutely unsuitable for a Debian-based
> system at the moment.
Yep I know they worked on aptdaemon but as the author
told me it does not fit well in PackageKit as this could do.

Thanks,
Daniel.

http://br.maisbuscados.yahoo.com