Re: renamings to remove extensions

Quoting "Josselin Mouette" <joss@debian.org>:

Le mardi 29 septembre 2009 à 11:43 +0200, Mike Hommey a écrit :
Improving quality only for the sake of it is not necessarily a good
idea. I do agree that if everyone but Debian expects foo to be called
as foo.pl, there is a bug in Debian.

Which is why lintian warnings are left at the appreciation of the
maintainer.

Renaming binaries in a way that breaks interfaces or expectations is not
desirable, of course. That doesn’t prevent the goal of removing useless
script extensions from being a worthy one.

The idea of putting extensions in scripts is stupid; it denotes a lack
of understanding of the Unix way, and makes it harder to make them
evolve in the future. Which is why we should remove these extensions
when possible, and ask upstream to do so when it is not.

I've also read people claiming that preserving extensions could actually help evolving and migrations in the future and it is as simple as app.lang1 being rewritten as app.lang2, both stay on board as needed or for a reasonable amount of time, then at some point app.lang1 could actually be changed to just call app.lang2 when it's considered mature enough. That is absolutely fine with me as long as app.* are kept in reasonable amount of disk space, but scripts usually don't tend to become that large. (even small sizes could not be that practical for embedded when doubled, but that is another story).