Re: renamings to remove extensions

Peter Eisentraut <petere@debian.org> writes:

> This is not a useful analogy. Software will continue to work with or
> without documentation or description. Renaming programs breaks
> interfaces.

This is a different complaint from “unnecessary, unproductive
busy-work”. I was answering only that complaint.

So, if the change can be made *without* breaking existing interfaces
(e.g. by providing a compatibility symlink to the suffix-less real
program file), then the “breaks interfaces” complaint is addressed and
is no longer an impediment to providing well-named program files.

--
 \    “Holy contributing to the delinquency of minors, Batman!” —Robin |
Ben Finney