DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE=1 versus DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS=network.

Le Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 03:49:06PM +0000, Philipp Kern a écrit :

> Although the goal to enable more tests is laudable the approach of modifying
> a maintainer build that is later uploaded to the archive from a buildd build
> doesn't sound right.  Maybe the build could then fail in the end through
> dpkg-buildpackage so that the result cannot be uploaded?

Hi all,

in my first experimentations I used DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS, but this leads to the
possibility of clashing with flag names that can be reserved later with a
different behaviour. On the other hand, if there are enough packages made using
the same convention, then we may set the standard by our usage. Would there be
other maintainers interested in using a 'network' flag for DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS?

Of course, neither the use of DEB_MAINTAINER_MODE nor DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS should
result in source packages that are different from standard builds with no
options. In the case I presented here, the goal is to help the maintainer to
make tests that are not possible on our build network.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Debian Med packaging team,