Seeking advice on packaging of pion-net

I am packaging pion-net [0], which is currently at version 2.1.8.  Once
built, the SONAMEs of the two shared library packages are:

libpion-net-2.1.8.so
libpion-common-2.1.8.so

According to the Debian Library Packaging Guide [1], with SONAMEs like
that, the packages should be named libpion-net-2.1.8 and
libpion-common-2.1.8.  However, I am not certain what the "best" way to
handle this is.  I am currently thinkging of naming the packages like
this:

Source: pion-net
Binary: libpion-net-dev, libpion-net-2.1.8, libpion-common-2.1.8,
libpion-net-2.1.8-dbg, libpion-common-2.1.8-dbg, libpion-net-doc

The problem, as I see it, with this arrangement is, that when a new
upstream released, like 2.1.9, then four of the package names will
change, resulting in the need for the new upstream to pass NEW
processing.  I don't currently plan to package and reverse dependencies.
However, that is not to say that someone else will not in the future.

I have looked at how some other packages handle it (e.g., boost), but
they version even the -dev package and source package, so that each new
upstream release results in a new source package.  I'm not sure if that
approach would work or is appropriate for this package.

Any advice/insights on this would be appreciated.

Regards,

-Roberto

[0] http://bugs.debian.org/547607
[1] http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html