Re: Discussion: New feature for source packages

Mike Hommey <mh@glandium.org> writes:
> On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 02:57:06PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> That gets the new kernel installs, but I don't think it gets the
>> updates to the kernel module source package.  Although I suppose we
>> could duplicate that with a postinst call to module-assistant.

> Or using triggers.

True.  One of the nice things about module-assistant over DKMS is that it
builds a real Debian package, so you have a record on the system that the
module is installed.

One thing that DKMS does that module-assistant doesn't, which I kind of
like, is that it looks for any modules in the kernel module tree by the
same name and stashes them out of the module load path so that you avoid
any conflict problems between the DKMS-built modules and the ones that
shipped with the kernel.  But I think there's some sort of precedence
built in that makes this mostly not needed.

If there were a document of how to do automated module builds using
triggers or a kernel hook, I'd be happy to try that as well.