Re: responsibility for iptables bug

2009/9/15 Marco d'Itri <md@linux.it>:
> On Sep 14, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
>
>> LB> You could file this a a wishlist bug report against the iptables
>> LB> package, and see if the  maintainer wish to add this file (or a larger
>> LB> /etc/sysctl.d/iptables.conf with some sane defaults).
> What makes you believe that the kernel defaults are not sane?
> This is an extra feature which is not required by most people, has a
> computational and memory cost and should not be enabled unless needed.

Prey tell, what is wrong with maintainers of for example iptables,
providing a conffile
with samples (which may even be commented out) which they can
reference to in their documentation, where they comment on the
different settings?

This is what we do with /etc/sysctl.conf today. And I still think a
wishlist bug against iptables is appropriate and would have helped
Jidanni, had it existed.