Re: chrooting daemons no longer supported?

On Sat, Sep 12, 2009 at 06:43:24PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> The reason is that more and more libc features depend on availability
> of /proc.  This means that you have to mount /proc within the chroot,
> which somewhat defeats the exercise of chrooting.

Yes.  You also might need /sys and /dev depending upon what you
are doing.  libc support files and NSS modules might also be
needed; setting up a correctly functioning chroot can be hard
nowadays, since there are all these details.

This is the reason I made schroot mount /proc, /sys and bind mount
/dev by default.

> On the other hand,
> it's not totally clear that chrooting is an effective defense anyway
> (I haven't got enough attack data to make a qualified judgment).

It's only virtualising the filesystem.  Devices, shared memory,
semaphores, open files etc. are still shared with the host, so it's
only providing minimal protection.

> So what's the response to bugs like #545808?  /proc-less chroots are
> simply unsupported?

IME, yes.  OTOH, I think that GNU libc should not be completely
reliant upon /proc or /sys, and should make a best effort to
function correctly in its absence.

Regards,
Roger

--