Re: Explicitely Cc bug reporters

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, David Nusinow wrote:
> Don Armstrong wrote:
> >On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Sandro Tosi wrote:
> >>I was thinking about this a couple of hours ago, but in the
> >>different direction: why not mailing the submitter by default?
> >>
> >>Ideally, I'd imaging nnnnnn@b.d.o to reach
> >>
> >>- submitter
> >
> >nnn@bdo should reach submitters who are interested in being reached by
> >default, but submitters who just want their problem fixed shouldn't be
> >deluged with mail. Always cc'ing submitters doesn't allow for
> >submitters to decide not to get those mail messages.
>
> On what % of bugs will the submitter be unnecessarily "deluged with
> mail"? This seems like an abstract hypothetical with no basis in
> reality at least according to any of the packages I've ever worked
> on.

I'm fine with it being the default, it just needs to be something that
a submitter can choose not to receive.

If the consensus is that we should implement Cc:'ing the submitter
quickly, and that it's ok to implement the opt-out at some future
time, that's trivial for me to do, but I've been loth to change the
historical functionality of the BTS like this without clear consensus.

Don Armstrong

--
There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good
sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.