Re: State of developers-reference

Heya,

As I'm one of the people who have at some point volunteered to help with
the dev-ref, but mostly failed to actually do work, I guess I could say
a few words, without any pretense of actually knowing better than all
the other people who have already commented...

Lucas Nussbaum <lucas@lucas-nussbaum.net> writes:
> OK, let's try to change the way it is maintained by moving to something
> similar to policy. Several questions need to be addressed.
>
> - Where should discussions occur? Should we re-use debian-policy@, since
>   both documents are a bit related? Or use another list? I would
>   personally prefer to use another list (-policy@ is already quite
>   busy), but I could be convinced to use -policy@.

I think moving discussions to -policy is a good idea, as these
discussion sometimes decide whether a specific change is implemented in
policy or dev-ref.

> Developers Reference gathers several kinds of information:
>
> (A) Purely informational documentation of Debian infrastructure and procedures.
> This is the easiest kind of content. Once correctness has been verified,
> not much debate can happen about the information.

Should such information actually be part of the developers reference?
It seems this could easily be moved onto www. or wiki.debian.org.

> (B) Best practices about Debian packaging
> This is harder to handle, but it isn't normative: maintainers are free
> to do things differently: besides raising a few eyebrows, nothing will
> happen.  If something about developers-reference sounds normative, it's
> a mistake and should be moved to debian-policy.
>
> (C) Policy-like information about some procedures
> This is the hardest part. The developers-reference documents some
> processes that are not standardized by Debian policy, because they are
> not related to Debian packaging. An example of such processes is the NMU
> procedure. Not following those procedures correctly is likely to result in
> complaints from other maintainers.

I've checked the current dev-ref and had quite a few problems to decide
to which of the two categories the current content belongs. Handling
(B) like (C) seems not too problematic. If (A) is moved out of dev-ref,
this would give a simple, coherent change process completly analogous to
policy.

Marc
--
BOFH #240:
Too many little pins on CPU confusing it, bend back and forth until