Re: RFC: update-inetd migration to dpkp-triggers

Hi!

On Mon, 2009-09-07 at 22:06:23 +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 10:02:21PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 09:54:19PM +0200, Serafeim Zanikolas wrote:
> > > * document that local policy will live in /etc/inetd.conf.d/ and any manual
> > >   changes will be made effective by running update-inetd
> >
> > I think this violates the principle of least surprise (restarting the daemon
> > after making your changes has been enough to make those changes take effect
> > since the inception of these daemons), and will be displeasing to many
> > admins as a result.
>
> I can't say that this part thrills me either.  However, we have as yet
> not come up with a saner alternative.

Yes that's something I don't like much either. But I was just thinking,
another possibility could be to add support for xinetd framgments to
the other three inted implementations. I'd gladly accept patches for
inetutild-inetd (or cook one if we'd agree this is the way to go, time
allows and no one has done so yet).

Also using /etc/inetd.conf.d to store xinetd style framgnets seems a
bit confusing to me. Why not reuse the xinetd directory instead?

regards,
guillem