Re: library-related policy question

On Sun, Sep 06, 2009 at 03:45:38PM +0000, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * Julien Cristau:

> >> Yes, it's an RC bug. If you break the API and/or ABI, you need to change the
> >> package name and the SONAME.

> > AFAIK the rule is "if you break ABI, you MUST change the package name and
> > SHOULD change the SONAME".

> It's still possible to work around that by not providing a library
> package at all (as seen with apt).

In that case, the virtual package name as used in the shlibs/symbols files
still changes with each ABI change.

And doing this makes partial upgrades impossible, so is not generally
recommended.  In the case of apt it's appropriate because you don't want two
different versions of the library accessing the same on-disk data
simultaneously.