Re: DeviceKit and /usr

Am Samstag 05 September 2009 11:20:06 schrieb Michael Biebl:
> Hendrik Sattler wrote:
> >>
> >> Because it provides a single point where the desktop hooks into the
> >> kernel hotplug event system, instead of having hal redo all the work
> >> already done by udev.  /That/ much has a sound rationale, even if
> >> reading text databases in does not.
> >
> > It's still no rationale at all to use libglib. Even d-bus is not a
> > reason, it is possible to use it without using gobject. If it isn't, fix
> > libdbus first or don't use it.
>
> I'm not sure why you bring up libdbus/dbus, but a quick look at dbus'
> dependencies will show you that it doesn't require libglib.

This refers to the previously mentioned URL
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/62973:
"These extras are:
[...]
* gudev: glib/gobject support for libudev"

Additionally, further down the thread:
"This is the interface almost everything is going to turn to with GNOME
2.28 (via DeviceKit-power and DeviceKit-disks in most cases). By the
time GNOME 2.30 and 3.0 are released, (theoretically) nothing will use
HAL."
and
"all current DeviceKit-{power,disks} versions *need* gudev."

And that is usually about the usage of dbus.

HS