Re: Future of the s390 port

[Russ Allbery]
> Is there an easy way (read: the software already exists and I can
> just install it) for all of the systems to report to an internal
> proxy that then resubmits the data so that no one else can know
> where it's coming from exactly other than from our servers
> somewhere?

I expect you will get this if you use HTTP to submit and any HTTP
proxy specified using the HTTP_PROXY variable in
/etc/popularity-contest.conf.  The only identity submitted would be
the random ID generated by popcon to make sure the weekly resubmission
of information replaces the last one.  Or one could use a SMTP
remailer stripping headers, I guess.  But that seem to be more work
than just using a HTTP proxy.

The information submitted is generated and available in
/var/log/popularity-contest for those that want to have a look.  There
is no information recorded about the source, except for the unique ID
of the host which is generated using

  dd if=/dev/urandom bs=1k count=1 2>/dev/null | md5sum

when the package is installed.

Happy hacking,
--
Petter Reinholdtsen