Re: Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> Le Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:47:44PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :
> > I know it is fancy and modern to think that Debian native packages
> > should only be used for things that are specific to the Debian
> > infrastructure, but there is nothing in policy that requires that,

To be clear (and I know you probably already know this): just because
some practice is not explicitly mentioned in Policy, does not mean there
is no good way to decide whether or not it's good practice.

As far as whether this idea is “modern”, I don't know whether “more than
8 years” is outside that range for an operating system only 16 years
old, but the consensus on this 2001-01 ‘debian-mentors’ thread
<URL:http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2001/01/msg00191.html> seems
to be that packages should be native only if the package is specific to
the Debian infrastructure.

> At least one of the consequences of being native is that the package
> gets all its gettext and manpages translations for free from Debian.

Another one is that any change to the Debian packaging for the work
can't be released without bumping the version number of the work, even
when there's no other change in the work other than the Debian
packaging.

--
 \      “The manager has personally passed all the water served here.” |
  `\                                                  —hotel, Acapulco |