Of the use of native packages for programs not specific to Debian.

Le Thu, Sep 03, 2009 at 12:47:44PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst a écrit :

> I know it is fancy and modern to think that Debian native packages
> should only be used for things that are specific to the Debian
> infrastructure, but there is nothing in policy that requires that, and
> indeed several packages (including, e.g., offlineimap) are distributed
> as such.

Hi Wouter,

At least one of the consequences of being native is that the package gets all
its gettext and manpages translations for free from Debian. In the case of
programs like ikiwiki made by somebody who gave a lot to Debian, it is for sure
a good thing, but in the case when the package maintainer sits on the
translations, like for sbackup, this is clearly a problem.

Have a nice day,

--
Charles Plessy
Tsurumi, Kanagawa, Japan