Re: APT hosed, segving in libapt-pkg-libc6.9-6.so.4.8.1

On Saturday 29 August 2009, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 18:34, Frans Pop<elendil@planet.nl> wrote:
> > Michael Vogt wrote:
> >> It looks like this is releated to the new code that adds lzma
> >> support for Package file downloads and the option to configure in
> >> what order the compression types should be used.
>
> > announcing the new config option (including an example maybe), and
> > also mentioning the new preference order?
>
> See: man 5 apt.conf -> THE ACQUIRE GROUP -> CompressionTypes

Yes, I found it there (after fetching the source and grepping through
that :-)

I looked in /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz first, but I
could not find it there. Should it be added?

> The description is far from being perfect and a few things are missing
> so real world input is highly welcomed.

The example currently only shows how to set the first compression type. An
example that also sets a second fallback would be nice.

> Addition: The order is defined by insertion into the list and missing

Inserted before or after current value(s)?

> default methods will be added automatically at runtime, so everything

That's useful to mention explicitly.

> you need to do to prefer gzip over bzip2 and lzma would be:
> Acquire::CompressionTypes::gz gzip;

That's what I did, and it works great! I got a very notable speed
improvement on my sparc box, and expect even better results for my s390
system (running in the Hercules emulator).

Would the following also work to use an *un*compressed packages file:
Acquire::CompressionTypes::"" "";

> NEWS entry> I thought it is more a power user option and
> as it changes nothing to the default so imo not fit for an entry,
> but after cleaning up the documentation on this option we will
> announce it as an aside in an upcoming NEWS entry, i guess.

I think it's worth mentioning, especially if you could also mention, as an
example, that using gzip can improve speed on slower systems.

Thanks,
FJP