Registry for cache directories (to save backup space)

Hi,

while watching rsnapshot doing a backup of my laptop, I thought: Wouldn't it
be fine, to have a registry of cache directories that shouldn't be backed up?

While you can exclude /var/cache, there are still many GB of data in
~/.mozilla/firefox/.../Cache
~/.strigi
~/.thumbnails
~/.cddb
~/.cache (Who is that?)
~/.googleearth

So a debian package could register all the places, where it puts caches and a
system administrator could use this registry to speed up backups and save
bandwidth and storage.

Thomas Koch, http://www.koch.ro