Re: Recommendations for man pages in Debian

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009, Ben Finney wrote:
> > I agree. While Ben's suggestion sounds nice in theory, it's bound to
> > be a recommendation that will not be acted upon because we have many
> > more interesting challenges to tackle.
>
> The challenge brought up earlier in this thread, that of determining
> outdated translated man pages, was at least part of the point of the
> recommendation to standardise the ‘TH’ command content in man pages.

I understand that but if upstream does not use the date in the manual
page and its translation, adding those ourselves is not going to help us
track whether they are outdated or not.

So it's a recommandation that we should do to upstream projects if they
do not use a system like po4a but not something worth to be added by us.

As far as Debian is concerned, we should simply use po4a on all our
own manual pages like dpkg is doing.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog