Re: Recommendations for man pages in Debian

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> I guess the question then becomes: since Policy describes supposed best
> practice for Debian, *should* we be more specific about the format of a
> man page? I think the conventions described in ‘man-pages(7)’ are a good
> basis for recommendations for all Debian man pages.

Given our limited success in getting people to provide man pages for every
binary to start with, I'm reluctant to ask package maintainers to patch
upstream man pages to do relatively inconsequential things like add dates
to the .TH line.  I suspect most readers of the man page don't care.