Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 02:58:45AM +0200, Emilio Pozuelo Monfort wrote:
> Roger Leigh wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:17:55PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> >> Quantity of .ddebs:
> >> Usually there should only be one .ddeb per source. Of course there are
> >> always exceptions from the rule, so Maintainers may chose to have one
> >> per binary package. This should only be taken when the size of the debug
> >> package gets *huge* otherwise. It is hard to set definite numbers here,
> >> but a 5mb package would surely not be a reason to split into two 2.5mb
> >> ones.
> >
> > This fails to address the rather valid concern brought up about
> > having different versions of libraries and binaries installed
> > from the same source package.  Having one .ddeb per binary would
> > solve this elegantly.
>
> Except that in that case, the old library will be NBS and thus I see no point
> why you would want to keep it installed. The only reason would be if it was
> meant to stay around, but in that case I'm sure the source package names would
> be different.

The scenario has been described already in the thread.

> > It's also rather space-inefficient for the user.
>
> If that bothers you, you can use the share we plan to provide.

No thanks, I like my debug symbols in a nice convenient packaged
format, signed by the archive admins.

While you might plan to be providing some fancy (yet enigmatic) service
based upon the debug deb content, I still want them installable,
preferably automatically getting all dependent debug symbols as well
using apt.  Preferably with a .deb extension; I see no reason why they
can't be first-class Debian packages in addition to being used for
mysterious as-yet-unspecified purposes.

I can't say I'm particularly enthused with the apparent lack of
consideration for most of the issues with the proposal brought up in
this thread.

Regards,
Roger

--