Re: Automatic Debug Packages

Roger Leigh wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 11:17:55PM +0200, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
>> Quantity of .ddebs:
>> Usually there should only be one .ddeb per source. Of course there are
>> always exceptions from the rule, so Maintainers may chose to have one
>> per binary package. This should only be taken when the size of the debug
>> package gets *huge* otherwise. It is hard to set definite numbers here,
>> but a 5mb package would surely not be a reason to split into two 2.5mb
>> ones.
>
> This fails to address the rather valid concern brought up about
> having different versions of libraries and binaries installed
> from the same source package.  Having one .ddeb per binary would
> solve this elegantly.

Except that in that case, the old library will be NBS and thus I see no point
why you would want to keep it installed. The only reason would be if it was
meant to stay around, but in that case I'm sure the source package names would
be different.

> It's also rather space-inefficient for the user.

If that bothers you, you can use the share we plan to provide.

Cheers,
Emilio