Re: Non-unified patches and dpkg source format ‘3.0 (quilt)’.

Neil McGovern <neilm@debian.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 07, 2009 at 10:45:14AM +0900, Charles Plessy wrote:
>> Giving a standard interface to reviewers is a laudable goal, but I do not see
>> reviewers except in elaborate scenarios about security. Therefore I will not
>> trade a real benefit for a hypothetical one, even if both are neglectible.
>> Also, I think that it is very important in a project of 1,000 persons to stick
>> to facts, and avoid building illusions together. So as long as there is no
>> reviewing process nor package reviews, there is no need to adapt to imaginary
>> reviewers.
> /me raises his release team hat.

During a freeze, one typically wouldn't apply the upstream patches
anyway, but just cherry-pick individual changes.  In this case, it
wouldn't be a problem to create unified diffs.  Or even reformat the
context diff to unified, in case the upstream patch contains nothing but
RC (and translation) fixes.

Regards, Frank

Dr. Frank Küster
Debian Developer (TeXLive)
VCD Aschaffenburg-Miltenberg, ADFC Miltenberg
B90/Grüne KV Miltenberg