check to detect non packaged examples from upstream

Package: lintian
Version: 2.2.13
Severity: wishlist

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 06:56:30PM +0200, Mario Lang wrote:
> I will probably try to automate this process somewhat and file a lot
> more bugs soon, but before I start this effort I'd like to remind
> individual package maintainers to look at their packages and check if
> they are providing example files that are not shipped yet.

It looks like more sensible to have a lintian test that checks that,
rather then automating a process to find this out a posteriori.

I guess the lintian check can implement a semantics like the following
one:

- check whether the unpacked debianized source tree contains somewhere
  an examples/ directory (find -d ?)

- if it does, check whether at least one of the binary package ships
  it under /usr/share/doc/PACKAGE/examples/

- if there is no such package, emit a warning with a medium certainty

I'm filing the corresponding wishlist bug report with this post.

Thanks for the idea!
Cheers.

PS we discussed how lintian is one of the best way to push
   acceptance in Debian, remember? :-)