Re: Automatic Debug Packages

On 2009-07-29, Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@debian.org> wrote:
>         On the contrary, I think you are missing the point. The
>  work-unit put in by developers is not the only issue this brings up,
>
>         We do not want to have different helper package start inventing
>  a helper specific way of building  ddebs, with no clear standard tha
>  they are following.

instead of objcopy and stuff people current do, either manually or with
the help of dh_strip and wrap it in a foo-dbg.deb by using the
.gnu_debuglink to and the expected paths by gdb and friends on where to
find it, instead use the newfangled build id and put it in a appropriate
hashed directory structure, as gdb and friends also are able to pick up,
and then wrap it in a foo.ddeb package.

There is nothing actually magic in it, except making it easy to use, but
for more technical details,
see the --build-id option to ld(1) for more details about what build-id is
and the gdb manual chapter 15.2 for more info about debugging
information in seperate files.

/Sune