Re: Debian, universal operating system?

On Sun, Jul 26 2009, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 2009-07-26 17:00, Miles Bader wrote:
>> Chris Lamb <lamby@debian.org> writes:
>>> Agreed. IMHO, it is one of those phrases (along with "Our priority is
>>> our users") that actually means extremely little in practice, except for
>>> generating lots of hot air with nobody agreeing.
>>
>> "Our priority is endless surreal flamewars over minor technicalities"
>> seems about right to me.
>
> Anyone who *really* thinks that Debian actually, seriously claims to
> be The One True Universal OS has been in the basement way too long,
> and needs a little sunshine, drink some beer and go where there are
> lots of pretty girls.

        If memory serves correctly, that slogan was added to the web
 site without discussion, and was never ratified by the project, though
 I do remember Bruce being very pleased about it.

        It certainly has not been either a goal nor a rallying cry for
 me while I work on Debian.

        manoj
--
H. L. Mencken suffers from the hallucination that he is H. L. Mencken --
 there is no cure for a disease of that magnitude.  -- Maxwell Bodenheim