Re: Comments on the "Changing the default system shell" talk

On Sun, Jul 26 2009, Jonathan Wiltshire wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 05:08:20PM +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
>>
>> On upgrades you are asked if you want to have dash as default system
>> shell unless you have dash already installed, then we leave it as
>> is.
>
> On my unstable box I received dash a few days ago, because an upload of
> bash started depending on it. After upgrading dash to 0.5.5.1-2.2 today,
> /bin/sh is still bash. Presumably this means unstable users are going to
> have to dpkg-reconfigure dash to get any benifit from this change?

        Well, only if you have set your debconf what-do-I-see levels
 high. I saw the question the very first time.

> For unstable users, this kinda defeats the point of pushing such a
> change.

        This is subjective. I am glad that the link was not changed,
 which would have broken my system. Err on the side of caution, eh?

        manoj
--
"You are WRONG, you ol' brass-breasted fascist poop!" Bloom County