Re: Whence /usr/lib/debug?

* Russ Allbery:

> Policy should definitely describe what to do here.  I don't know enough
> about the toolchain to know what Policy should say, but we should
> standardize how to handle debug packages at this point, since we have a
> fairly standard way of handling it now.

If we could standardize on this, that would be fine with me:

  Separate debug information objects [name?] must be installed under
  /usr/lib/debug.  The file name must be the result of calling
  realpath() on the path to the actual DSO containing code, prepended
  with the string "/usr/lib/debug".  Separate debug information
  objects must not be provided for static libraries under
  /usr/lib/debug.

libstdc++6-4.3-dbg does not currently follow this, which prompted me
to write this message:

libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.a
libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so
libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so.6
libstdc++6-4.3-dbg: /usr/lib/debug/libstdc++.so.6.0.10

This is already a bug today because GDB can't find the objects (and my
code can't find them, either).