Re: Whence /usr/lib/debug?

> Where does the convention for this directory hierarchy come from?  There
> are several different naming conventions for the debug objects stored
> there, and I wonder if some of them are bugs.  (If the wrong file name
> or path is used, debuggers will have a hard time discovering debugging
> symbols.)
>
> Should Policy describe what to do here?

Policy should definitely describe what to do here.  I don't know enough
about the toolchain to know what Policy should say, but we should
standardize how to handle debug packages at this point, since we have a
fairly standard way of handling it now.

Whatever Policy says should also address when it's appropriate to ship a
debugging build of the library instead of detached debugging symbols (if,
for instance, a debugging build changes the code to add additional
instrumentation that's useful).