Re: ia32-libs{-tools}, multiarch, squeeze

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 04:37:50PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> No, I don't think so.  Coming up with random maybe-somewhat-working
> solutions to cross-installing packages will only take a proper solution
> take more time to get implemented, since people will be less interested
> in fixing the problem once their pet problem goes away.
>
> | Not arguing about the merits of the specific implementation of
> | ia32-apt-get, the approach had the advantage that a, say, synaptic
> | user can use it. A chroot does not enjoy that good property.
>
> unless it broke apt completely, requiring more hand-holding than
> constructing a chroot, you mean?

You are stretching my arguments.  I did not touch the (de)merits of
ia32-apt-get with my post, on purpose, and I've even said that
explicitly in my text.

I've just pointed out that the "use a chroot, is not that hard"
argument is simply bogus since not all our users are power users. We
are trying to build the universal operating system here.

Cheers.