Re: ia32-libs{-tools}, multiarch, squeeze

On Sun, Jul 05, 2009 at 01:26:23PM +0200, Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> ]] Yannick
>
> | For instance, I wanted to test Firefox 3.5 in 32bits on my amd64
> | Debian (64bit Firefox 3.5 does not have the new tracemonkey javascript
> | engine).  With ia32-apt-get, I could install the 32bit version of my
> | GTK theme engine so that Firefox can look good.
>
> You could just use a chroot.  It's not that hard.

Oh come on, this is really a non-argument. Here we are trying to build
a system that can be used by random users, not developers (like
probably all of the people reading this thread) with half dozen
entries in their schroot.conf.

Not arguing about the merits of the specific implementation of
ia32-apt-get, the approach had the advantage that a, say, synaptic
user can use it. A chroot does not enjoy that good property.

Cheers.