Re: A standard patch rule for our rules

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> wrote:
[...]

> It seems to me that the whole point of adding ‘patch’ as a (phony)
> target is to allow a dependency on that target,
[...]

Hello,
Being used as dependencies of non-phony targets is the one thing phony
targets are not useful for. A phony dependency is always out of date
and will cause rerunning of the depending target.

(I am pretty sure you knew that, and I am just misparsing.)

I do not know what is wrong with having patch a phony target, though,
phony target are fine for direct invocation (debian/rules patch) and
that seems to be whole point of the respective entry in policy.

cu andreas
so grateful to you.'