Re: ia32-libs transition

Joerg Jaspert wrote:

> On 11797 March 1977, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Will you do security support and regular uploads for it too? Or just a
>> one shot upload? Will you stand against ftp-masters whish to remove
>> it?
>
> You are actively working with all you can do to not only let us hate it
> but actually consider removing it completly. Good job.

Not being a DD, my thoughts may be meaningless here; but as an amd64 Debian
user, I think I should speak in defence of Goswin.

If I understand well, ia32-libs was not acceptable in its state for ftp-
masters. I think that having all the ia32-* packages would not be acceptable
either.

The right thing would be to have multi-arch, but it will come when it's
ready (that's not a bad thing).

Waiting for multi-arch, Goswin's system permits me to use wine (and chromium
browser) on my 64bits Debian.

Of course, Goswin made mistakes as ia32-apt-get does not warn the user about
the need of pining i386 packages and try to install converted binary ones.
But his propositions to limit the conversion to library packages may solve
the issue.

Maybe all of this should go to experimental (is there a problem with wine
depending on experimental packages for amd64?) but thank you Goswin for your
work.

Yannick