Re: Switching the default /bin/sh to dash

Mike Hommey wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 06:47:07AM +0200, Hendrik Sattler wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag 25 Juni 2009 05:21:45 schrieb Raphael Geissert:
>>> I just noticed I forgot to say something:
>>> * the sh symlink won't be modified on existing installations
>> So that it will be even more strange that a script with bashisms works on some
>> Debian Squeeze systems but not on others? Yeah, great idea.
>> And so that all users that upgrade do not benefit from the goal of this change?
>> Even better.
>> I usually don't like those not-on-upgrade exceptions.
>
> I'd say if /bin/sh points to the current default (/bin/bash), then it
> should be modified. OTOH, if it was modified locally by the admin to
> point somewhere else, leave it alone.

How do you make the difference between an administrator choosing for the
default and one choosing for bash specifically?

I think it's best to either leave it alone (preferred option) or ask the
administrator (using debconf) if he wants to change to the default. In
any case it should be mentioned in the Release Notes and other
documentation regarding Squeeze.

Cheers

Luk