Re: RFS: kernelcheck

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 09:02:59AM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> "Giacomo A. Catenazzi" <cate@debian.org> writes:
>
> > but I don't think is is usable in open source.  Editors/publishers are
> > required to know the real name,
>
> Why are editors/publishers required to know the real name?
>
> Maybe this is a jurisdiction-dependent issue?  I don't know of any such
> constraint in the US, but I can't speak for other countries.

Speaking for germany (as I already did in this thread), you have to
disclose your identity in court to make use of your civil rights. IOW
you cannot lay claim to your copyright if you are not identified as the
copyright holder. A pseudonym is then only helping (AFAIK again) if this
pseudonym is accepted by government which means official registering.

Practically, I do see problems in the US, too: do you think a US court
would grant you copyright if the only statement in a file were "(C)
2009, cate"?

Hauke