Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

Raphael Hertzog wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
In this case I think we should use DEP-3 without discussion every details:
we need a larger user base, then we will discuss details for standardization,
but not now.

I prefer we take the time to think it thoroughly so that we don't have to
come back to it later. It's easier to standardize something that works and
has seen no need for substantial changes since X months rather than a
recommendation that changes every other month because it has not been well
fleshed out.

Yes, but:
- don't over-engineering
- don't wait to much on details (we don't want a debian/control discussion
  over one year)

and:
- most standard are done by/after usage
- we don't know the main problems and errors of "normal DDs" and the
  integration workflow with various vcs tools.

I really think that in one year we need to discuss again about some items
(License field was need? Bug is used correctly? Signed-Off is needed? Forgot
something? Team tags? Are there a lot of template text).

The main idea and structure is already given by DEP-3, and there is no
critical information, so I think it will not confuse user an update,
but such updates will clarify some aspect we now don't see.

ciao
	cate