Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Tue, 16 Jun 2009, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> If the idea is to standarize metainformation, I would suggest standarizing
> filenaming scheme too. What I do in some packages is to name the patches as
> follows:
>
> 0xxx-name.patch  -> Grabbed from upstream VCS
> 1xxx-name.patch  -> Interesting for submission upstream
> 2xxx-name.patch  -> Debian-specific

I don't want to go in that direction. I don't want to impose too many
restrictions on the way patch are managed inside the package. That would
simply create one more unnecessary obstacle to its widespread adoption.

Many people use directories for that, other uses prefixes, other simply do
not care as long as the information is available in the comment inside the
patch.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog

Contribuez à Debian et gagnez un cahier de l'admin Debian Lenny :
http://www.ouaza.com/wp/2009/03/02/contribuer-a-debian-gagner-un-livre/