Re: RFC: DEP-3: Patch Tagging Guidelines

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:10:14PM +0200, Carsten Hey wrote:

> I currently don't see a relevant benefit in this above just using the
> changelog entry, which you need to write anyway.  Additional information

Putting the information in the changelog makes it much harder to find
when looking at a package source than if it's right there in the patch
file - you need to look the patch up in the changelog and if the patch
is revised or otherwise changes state over time you need to figure out
what the current state is somehow.

It's a similar idea to saying that code should be adequately commented -
the revision control history should say what's going on too but it
shouldn't be essential to reading the code.