Re: Let’s turn DEP5 into something useful

Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:

> What you probably complain about is this:
>
>   Your debian/copyright file must contain the following information:
>
>    - The author(s) name
>    - The year(s) of the copyright
>    - The used license(s)
>    - The URL to the upstream source
>
>   In many packages there is more than one author, more than one
>   copyright-holder and more than one license. Do not miss to list them
>   all, even if that other license is just for one file. Yes, any
>   single file is important.
>
> This very strict rule was re-confirmed a few hours ago by one of the
> Project's archive administrators.

Thank you. Can we please have a public, canonical reference to this?

> This is not in the DEP, and I dislike it as much as you and others.

Right. I don't know where the idea came from that DEP 5 creates this
requirement, but I'm glad to see corroboration that it didn't originate
in DEP 5.

Maybe now this discussion about existing requirements for *content* can
be properly separated from discussion about a proposed file *format*.

--
 \     “I have an answering machine in my car. It says, ‘I'm home now. |
  `\  But leave a message and I'll call when I'm out.’” —Steven Wright |