Re: Environment variables, debian/rules and dpkg-buildpackage

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 03:17:33PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> but I would like to have more :-)
> Currently I prefer to build package with --quiet flag, so that I see
> easily problems on building package:

Neither debuild nor dpkg-buildpackage has a a --quiet flag, so I guess
you weren't clear enough on what you are talking about.

> So I would like to have a short log (e.g. what I put in stdout/stderr,
> with "./configure --quiet"), so that people will have no excuses for
> not be carefukll, but also to have access to configure.log (or/and
> other build time log), on build failure.

OK, so I am not sure what this has to do with the thread.  Are you
proposing a completely different way of how autoconf packages should get
configured in debian/rules?  What does ./configure --quiet have to do
with compiler warnings or deprecated features?  Does it print out
relevant parts of config.log on failure?  If not, what is the point of
"configure.log", having the same information then than one has now in
general?

> Is it to much to ask?

You can ask anything, the question is whether it gets picked up.  If
what you ask for required changes in most source packages, it is likely
that it will not get picked up.

What I do think might make sense is changing dh7 and/or CDBS to print
out config.log if configure fails; that might help debug problems on the
autobuilders more quickly.

Michael