Re: Possible mass bug filing: non-doc packages recommending doc packages

On Saturday 09 May 2009 00:58:56 Russ Allbery wrote:
> Wouldn't our users expect to get the documentation
> with many of these packages by default?  Normally you do get some
> documentation with things, and I've always been surprised by, say, ntp
> not including any documentation without installing a separate package.

We currently have that ntp suggests ntp-doc.  Should that be changed to
recommends?

Perhaps a better policy or developer reference type guideline can come out of
this thread about what kind of package should or should not depend on
documentation in what way.  It is kind of idiosyncratic that we insist on man
pages being provided in a very specific way but are completely lax about other
kinds of documentation, even if the latter might be the primary way to learn
about a particular package's functionality.