Re: deprecating /usr as a standalone filesystem? [/usr on NFS]

Frank Lin PIAT <fpiat@klabs.be> writes:
> On Tue, 2009-05-05 at 16:25 -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:

>> It's not particularly difficult.  You update the system master and
>> push that update into NFS, synchronizing any non-/usr data as you
>> need to across all the systems mounting that NFS partition.

> I have always been skeptical about sharing /usr on Debian, especially
> I've always wondered is how you upgrade the remote (nfs-mounted)
> systems?
> * How to upgrade /bin, /lib... files?
> * Can dpkg be told to not touch /usr on those machines?
> * Some (pre|post)(inst|rm) scripts use files in /usr... Aren't they
>   guaranteed to behave in unpredictable way, if the version is /usr
>   aren't the one expected by those scripts?

I think it would be fairly difficult without using a golden image
approach, where there's one system (or chroot on an NFS server) that you
upgrade and then push the non-/usr results to all the systems mounting
/usr.  Doing that is fairly straightforward, though.

Don't get me wrong: I don't do this, nor do I have any plans to do
this.  Disk is too cheap to bother and there are better ways of keeping
systems in sync these days, IMO.  But it's a very long-standing sysadmin
technique, I wouldn't be surprised if some people still use it, and it's
certainly technically doable.